Monday, October 31, 2011

A coffin for Halloween

Some gravestone symbols are more subtle than others.

There is nothing subtle about coffins, like those on the gravestone for Susan Spitler (b. 1776, d. 1834).



IN MEMORY
OF
Susan, wife of John spitler
sen, who was born January
24, 1776; and died June
5, 1834: Aged 58 years, 5
months, 11 days.


There are two epitaphs on the stone, perhaps meant to be read as one. The second verse, versions of which I have seen before, is adapted from an Isaac Watts hymn.

Go home dear friends, and do not weep.
I am not dead but here to sleep;
Though cold and silent is my bed,
My rest is sweet my sorrows fled.

I here will slumber under ground,
Untill the last, loud trump shall sound,
Then burst my tomb with sweet surprise,
And in my saviours image rise.


Brushing away the dirt at the base of the gravestone reveals a signature: John Strickler, whose work can be seen in graveyards throughout the county.


Baptist Corners Cemetery, Fairfield County, Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...