Thursday, May 10, 2012

What’s wrong with this picture?

This gravestone in Canaan Cemetery caught my eye immediately. Or rather, the military marker beside the gravestone did.

There are no dates on the stone, but I doubt that Marion Harris, buried beneath a Civil War-style gravestone, was a Vietnam vet.



MARION HARRIS
CO. D
57 OHIO INF.

According to American Civil War Soldiers [database on-line via Ancestry.com] compiled by Historical Data Systems, Marion Harris enlisted on September 23, 1861 at the age of 17. He received a disability discharge on April 29, 1862 at Camp Dennison, Ohio.

Certainly not a Vietnam vet.

From Ancestry.com

Canaan Cemetery, Marion County, Ohio

4 comments:

  1. Maybe he came back & fought in Vietnam as well. I mean folks in Chicago can vote for YEARS after they die :)

    I know I would have been scratching my head if I came across that grave. Nice catch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. "In a past life, I was a Civil War soldier"

      Delete
  2. They probably ran out of Civil War markers! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...