Friday, April 27, 2012

Live blogging 1940 occupations

Have you volunteered to help index the 1940 U.S. Federal Census?

I just downloaded a new batch, read the enumerator’s note that “there are no farms” in the enumeration district, and decided to slow down take a look at the occupations.

Farmer, farmer, farmer might not have been too exciting; tinker, tailor, soldier might be fun.

Thinking that it might be fun to record the occupations that I find, I decided to write this post as I index one census batch for a group of families living on Western Avenue in Toledo, Ohio.


Locomotive Engineer
Meter Reader
Sausage Maker
Grocery Clerk
Music Teacher
House Maid
Gas Station Attendant
Waitress
Building Construction
Secretary
Yard Conductor
Die Maker
Sewer Digger
Locomotive Engineer
Accountant
Truck Driver
Pumper

Glad no one is timing me. This was a slow batch—all the occupation reading and such. Next batch: Complete concentration!

1 comment:

  1. Neat, Amy! I haven't hit one like this yet. An interesting variety you have there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...