Saturday, July 2, 2011

“An aged woman”

Glebe Cemetery, a tiny country cemetery in central Pennsylvania, was established in 1773. One of the old gravestones marks the grave of Isabella Curren (d. 1790).

Note to my descendants: Please do not write “an aged woman” on my gravestone, even if it is true.



Here Lies
Intr,d the Remains of
Isabella Curren, wife of
William Curren, who
Departed this Life the 7
of Decr Anno Domini 1790
an Aged woman
Her age unknown

Glebe Cemetery, Juniata County, Pennsylvania

2 comments:

  1. A cemetery established 1773! I'm just a bit envious. Colonial cemeteries are hard to come by in my area. BTW, I might pass along your instructions about the aged woman bit to my loved ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to come by here as well. This was a vacation side visit. I'm more accustomed to 1825 being an old gravestone here in central Ohio!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...