Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wednesday’s child: “...with my Father I was left”


You can find the small tablet gravestone of Ira Hall (b. 1845, d. 1846) near the fence that separates Williamsville Cemetery from the growth of the surrounding suburb. (Until recently, the cemetery was nearly hidden from view by trees and other natural growth. Now there are new homes and new shops in place of fields and woods.)

IRA SON of
Jason & Climena A.
HALL
died June 5, 1846
Æ 10 Mo’s 27 D’s

The epitaph is unique, personal—and somewhat difficult to read. Luckily, there is an 1948 transcription of the gravestone on FindAGrave.com to sanity-check my reading.

The last two words are not legible to me, but in 1948 they were thought to be fait? tree. Maybe fair tree?

When 6 Mo’s old with my Fa
ther I was left,
When 10 Mo’s old I sunk in death
My little spirit soared away,
To embrace my mother by
lifes  f___  ____

Climena A. Hall (d. 1845) is buried nearby. 


Williamsville Cemetery, Delaware County, Ohio

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried typing this epitaph into google??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried, but got no meaningful hits. Well, not before losing patience with the results. Maybe I was not patient enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my great uncle 3 generations back. According to the family records the final words are fait thee...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...