Sunday, October 3, 2010

Let there be light

A few months ago I blogged about a trip my daughter and I took to Winsor Cemetery to search for the grave of my (probable) 3g grandmother, Anna Marie Gilpin Aldrich (d. 1856). In the cemetery that day, “the marker was next to impossible to read.”

Recently we visited again. This time we got smart.

The gravestone is in the shade most of the day under a large, leafy walnut tree at the back of the cemetery. On this visit we noticed a low hanging branch near Anna’s grave. Maybe if we could reach that branch and pull it just so...

With one good jump, Katie reached it, pulled it aside, and the marker was out of the shade.

Aha! “Next to impossible to read”? Not on this day. Not with the light shining just right.



ANNA M.
Wife of
Arnold Aldrich
DIED
July 4, 1856
In the 54th year
of her age.

No walnut trees were injured in the photographing of the gravestones on this blog.

2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this. I try to take photographs when the sun is shining directly on the text. But I can't always get to the cemeteries during the optimal time. It's very frustrating because the quality is so tremendously different. I'm glad you were able to go back and get a better photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE difference, congrats on the brainstorm and fact that no trees were harmed! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...