Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday’s child: Why?

Frieda Louise Hamler (1921)
Groveport Cemetery, Franklin Co., OH
Not long ago I tweeted my indecision about continuing my weekly blog series, Wednesday’s child, thinking it was just too sad.

We all feel sadness when we think about the death of a child, but what makes me even more sad is the thought that these children are no one’s ancestors. No one’s great grandfather, no one’s great grandmother. Is anyone looking for them?

I don’t know, but I will look for them and honor them with my little blog–every Wednesday.

Monday’s child is fair of face,
Tuesday’s child is full of grace,
Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
Thursday’s child has far to go.
Friday’s child is loving and giving,
Saturday’s child works hard for a living,
But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay.


Aunt Mildred (b. 1914, d. 1915)

3 comments:

  1. Did someone restore those lamb's ears? I have often seen these types of stones where it is hard to tell what kind of animal it might be. BTW, my sister has the same penchant for photographing children's stones for Find a Grave. (She is also in central Ohio.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those appear to be replacement ears--perhaps the original ears were broken off.

    Ha! Sounds like I have a kindred spirit here in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely you should continue the series. I for one do look for these lost children--they are my aunts and uncles going back hundreds of years, and they are an important part of my ancestors' stories: The great-great-grandparents who lost a child, and that child's siblings were surely marked by the losses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...