Friday, January 6, 2012

Praying woman...or is it?

Not long ago I reviewed the photographs I took one summer afternoon in St. John’s Episcopal Cemetery, Worthington, Ohio. One gravestone caught my eye with its carving of a praying figure.

The gravestone for Anthea Garretson (d. 1856) is a rectangular tablet with a carved gothic arch and a woman on her knees in prayer.



ANTHEA,
WIFE OF
HARMAN GARRETSON
Died
Dec. 23, 1856
Aged
[62] Yrs.

But is it the figure of a woman? Do I see the hint of a wing to the right of the figure? It’s an angel!

Check out the photo on Find A Grave. In the right light, the wing outline is obvious.


St. John’s Episcopal Cemetery, Franklin County, Ohio

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You're right! I would have completely missed that! Good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how many times I looked at the photo before I finally noticed the faint wing. Now I can't see anything else!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...